How a market works

The landscape company I use bills me on a fee-for-service basis.  I get billed for every time they cut the grass. Sometimes, I think they cut it too often.


I guess I could offer to pay them a monthly retainer (global payment) instead, but then they would have an incentive to not cut the grass often enough.  Also, during the dry summer months when the grass doesn't grow, I would be paying them for nothing.

Or I could not have them on contract at all and call them when I need them, but they might not be available.  Then, I would have to spend time shopping around to see who is available at that time.

Or I could buy a lawnmower and cut the grass myself, but then I would have to use time I'd rather spend refereeing soccer games or doing something else.  Plus, I like the idea that I am helping to provide jobs in my community.

Or I could dig up the lawn and plant ground cover instead.